About the Client
Our client is the Global Outsourcing team of a top 10 professional services business. Their clients are typically large organisations that require them to provide a suite of services on a year-round basis. The team is growing rapidly, with this role coming up due to team expansion. You would be joining an exciting, dynamic and fast-growing environment where the senior team are committed to development and support of their people.
The role will be based in the Reading office, working within the Accounts and Financial Reporting “AFR” team. This is a dedicated team responsible for the delivery of financial statements and advisory services to help clients meet their financial reporting needs. The AFR team focuses on the delivery of UK financial reporting services to multi-national businesses; providing a high quality, fresh approach which is tailored to each client’s individual needs.
About the Role
An Accounts & Financial Reporting (‘AFR’) Associate Director is a senior member of the AFR team. You will be responsible for acting as the technical lead for the team, managing advisory projects, servicing a portfolio of clients and supporting Directors and Partners with practice management.
Key responsibilities include:
- Act as technical lead for the team, taking responsibility for the delivery of advisory services. Typical projects include assisting clients with changes in accounting requirements, acquisitions, disposals, reorganisations and restructurings
- Act as lead on large, technically complex client assignments. The expectation is that on client assignments this role will be supported by a manager or assistant manager. Overall responsibility for each assignment will be retained by the director and partner.
- Responsible for leading and directing all aspects of the AFR services delivered.
- Direct engagement with clients on technical and accounting judgement decisions.
- Liaison with central departments on risk management, technical and other matters in accordance with the firm’s policies.
- Keep up to date with all technical developments and lead technical training for the team in order to ensure continued excellence of delivery of services to the client.
- Openly share expertise both internally and externally.
- Demonstrate overall client ownership and ensure the highest standards in others.
- Responsible for financial measurement, management and maximising profitability on a portfolio of clients.
- Act as a collaborative client manager and apply a managed client approach.
- Develop innovative solutions to the commercial challenges of the client.
- Communicate effectively to ensure client expectations are managed appropriately.
- Participate in wider practice management at local level.
- Win work by proactively managing existing clients and targeting new AFR and non-AFR clients.
- Contribute to development of new business relationships and business proposals through sales and marketing activity.
People and personal
- Participation in people management at local level including resource planning and allocation, performance management, training and recommendations for promotion.
- Act as a mentor to managers and assistant managers and provide coaching with a view to assisting them to achieve their personal career goals.
- Act as a role model for assistant manager and manager level.
- Give time to other people to help them solve their issues.
- Robust under pressure and manages multiple project/activities.
- Involves and consults with more senior people when needed.
- Lead difficult conversations and deliver constructive feedback, both to clients and staff.
- Ensure high quality of work without micro managing others.
Required Knowledge and Experience
In particular, they are looking for:
- ACA or ACCA qualified or equivalent overseas qualification
- Extensive working knowledge of UK GAAP and IFRSs, including IFRS 9, 15 and 16.
- Significant previous experience in a manager or senior manager role, including delivering statutory accounts preparation or audit services to large businesses.
- Ability to prioritise and plan effectively, adopting a logical and methodical approach in order to meet tight deadlines.
- Proven experience in managing a wide portfolio of concurrent projects and project teams in a project management framework.
- Proven ability in managing and developing staff i.e. coordinating staff projects, mentoring, counselling, appraising, and recruiting.
- Working knowledge of financial products, firm services, issues regarding advice and regulation and compliance, including anti-money laundering.
- Business development experience - able to identify and convert opportunities to sell work.
In addition, it is desirable but not essential that candidates can demonstrate the following:
- Working knowledge of US GAAS requirements as well as previous experience reconciling IFRS, US and UK GAAP results.
- Experience with international groups and working with overseas companies.